Sunday, April 24, 2011
Glen Ellyn Earth Day celebration - report
o Look into Blue Star Energy. http://www.bluestarenergy.com/
o Watt meters can be checked out at the library to see how much power our appliances are sucking.
o Average home uses 10,900 kWh/year (in the past year we used 11,854) http://illinois.sierraclub.org/rpg/coolcities.html
- Citizens for Glen Ellyn Preservation: Linda Gilbert. A lot about the tree ordinance. http://www.glenellynpreservation.org/
- Glen Ellyn Environmental Commission. More about the tree ordinance. Go to website for schedule of events. http://www.glenellyn.org/Commissions/Environmental.html
- Glenbard West Eco Club. Very active and energetic group. I didn’t know there were solar ipod chargers.
- Ben Lowe. Now works for Evangelical Environmental Network. Talked about starting a community garden in his apartment complex on Roosevelt and Main Street. http://creationcare.org/
- Green Group. Small group in Glen Ellyn that meets monthly at PPK Architects. Will have a booth at the Taste of Glen Ellyn this year where you can enter an energy challenge with ComEd to see who can reduce their energy the most over the summer.
- Green Drinks in Naperville uses social networking to communicate. http://www.greendrinks.org/IL/Naperville
o Also mentioned meetup.
- Earthlings: Barb Perry (pictured) shared the group’s mission and activities, including Creation Care Sunday (beehouses, rain barrels and battery collection), our Facebook page and our desire to help the poor.